Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Drive to Deerhorn Lodge, Day 1

Our 2014 Trip to Deer Horn Lodge started with an earlier than normal departure at 8:45 am from my house in Newtown, CT.  


Besides a NY Thruway top off and a bathroom break in the Adirondaks the first major stop before crossing into Canada is at Buck's Plaza just outside of Plattsburg to get gas for the boat.  It's around $240 to fill the boat and the extra gas cans.



We were making great time, that is until we hit the border.  We have never had to wait so long at the border to Canada before.  It was incredible.  I think they were looking for terrorists or something because when I told the Control Agent where we were going and why, he asked for the type of fish and I said Walleye and Lake Trout.  That's when he asked if we were fly fishing, which is a stupid question, you don't fly fish for Lakers, you down rig for them.  Told him no and he let us go.



After the buzz kill at the border it go worse when we hit Montreal Traffic.  If you can avoid it, do not get caught in Montreal Traffic.  It was like 2 million people all trying to get out of the city on Friday afternoon at the same time.  It took us two hours to get through Montreal and looking on the map, there is no way to get around without having to go way out of your way.


We got up to Mont Tremblant around 6 PM, when we should have been at Mont Laurier at 5:30 PM!



Many, many years ago I went skiing here but it was so cold it was barely enjoyable.



We got to Mont Laurier around 8 PM as the sun was starting to set


This sign was at the gas station where we were topping off.
I guess it means please respect us by not pissing or letting or dog crap here.


The Mont Laurier Tim Hortons Donut Shop is still there!
Been passing this place for 30 years


At the Quality Inn, seeing this sign made me miss my bike
but knowing that it's black fly season quickly changed my mind
Still, sometime I want to ride the Le Petit Train du Nord


Of course, these two guys I really missed already.
We Facetimed!

No comments: