Sunday, August 01, 2010

A word from Steve Hamel former owner of Deer Horn Lodge

Steve is handing over the reigns of Deer Horn Lodge on August 1st and I thought I would reprint his farewell speech so that it will be forever immortalized in the Interwebs.

There always be something inherently magical about fishing the Cabonga Reservoir.


I've spend the last 3 decades fishing all over this spectacular area, 37 original natural lakes connecting one another, so much water you couldn't fish it all in a hundred lifetimes. Over 400 KM square of water seemingly endless, the most beautifull lake in Quebec Province!
Over the years I have caught numbers of fish and big ones! Many walleyes over 10 pounds, several pikes over 25 pounds and a few lake trout monsters over 30 pounds, the fish grow big and strong in the Cabonga!
My mission at Deer Horn Lodge was to offer a great fishing destination very accessible, with good accomodations and a great service. After all those years I can honestly say ''mission accomplished''!
From every aspect, fishing is true paradise at Deer Horn Lodge, one of the last true outfitter remaining in this modern, space aged world.
It was hard to convince people on how good the place is,  but those that once experienced it returned years after years and some months after months. Most of them became good friends and I want to special thank everyone who beleived in me and my family.
After 3 decades i am leaving the place in good hands, Sebastien Hamel who is my cousin is taking over, he is a passionate and love the outdoors, especialy walleye fishing. Sebastien will keep provinding you with the best accommodations and services that you were used to. The Hamel tradition a Deer Horn Lodge will continue!
A big thank you to all of my customers & friends.
Yours in good fishing.
Steve Hamel

No comments: